Breath-taking and unique day tours are awaiting you in Pitztal. Hiking in the mountains is the best way to enjoy nature and forget the everyday stress of life. Planning on a longer hiking tour? Then why not make use of one of our three mountain railways on the way up to save time and spare your legs – Hochzeiger Bergbahnen, Rifflsee Bergbahnen and Pitztal Glacier.
Mountain Hiking in Tyrol
Enjoy the mountain world of Pitztal
Mountain hiking in Pitztal
Mountain hiking in Austria through fragrant mountain meadows and rugged steep rock faces. Our cosy catered mountain huts invite you to take a break: get pampered with local delicacies in a charming scenic setting. Beautiful images of this colourful landscape will be etched in your holiday memories and create a longing to return.
Top mountain hiking tours in our villages...
Mountain hikes Hochzeiger
Enjoy 360 degrees mountain panorama
Hochzeiger hiking resorts offers great choice with 100 kilometres of marked hiking trails. Enjoy the magnificent mountain panorama on a day tour and discover the “magic of the pine” as Hochzeiger hiking resort has an especially beautiful pine forest. Some trees are almost 400 years old and pinewood is said to promote relaxation and indulge the senses.
A selection of Mountain hikes at Hochzeiger
|Hiking tips from the Sechszeiger lift top station|
Walk south along the ridge for approx. 900 m and descend into the valley on the far side of the Wenner Mountain before heading out of the valley towards the Kalben Mountain Hut. Climb up past the Trög Hut to the Leiner Alm from where you return to the bottom lift station.
|Hiking tips from the Gondola top station|
Hike to the Hochzeiger and then into the Riege Valley before reaching the "Groaß" lake (2 hours 45 min.). Return via the top station of the "Zollberg" lift and then to the bottom lift station.
* look up in the Hochzeiger hiking tips brochure
Hiking Tours for Mountain Aficionados
Alpine Hiking Tours at Pitztal Glacier
Majestic Pitztal Glacier makes a true heaven for experienced hikers with excellent stamina, as the area offers countless Alpine hiking tours of a special kind.
- Glacier Hiking Trail towards Braunschweiger Hütte
- On the Glacier Footpath towards Taschachhaus
Glacier Hiking Trail towards Braunschweiger Hütte
Braunschweiger Hütte, nestling at 2758 m altitude, is accessible on a marked Glacier Hiking Trail from the Gletscherexpress top station - Walking time (one way): approx. 1.5 hours
The ascent from Braunschweiger Hütte down to the valley takes about 2 hours.
Signposted hiking trail, on the glacier stretches you'll find snow poles for easier orientation.
Surefootedness and a good head for heights are absolutely required for this tour.
Always bring sturdy hiking boots, sun protection/sunscreen and warm clothes.
Hut tenant - Fam. Auer, T +43(0)664 5353722.
Hiking Tour at Pitztal Glacier
A "Day on the glacier for young and old" gives a deep insight into the eternal ice of Pitztal Glacier, especially suitable for active families. The exciting program features a short glacier crossing. The route travels past glacial mills, glacier snouts, glacial polish areas and bizarre rock formations shaped by the eternal ice. The local mountain guides can tell you many interesting stories about the glacier ice, dangerous crevasses and glaciology in general. A truly unique experience creating memories that will stay with your family forever.
- Guided tours take place every Tuesday and Thursday (fee: € 5.00 pp)
- Meeting point: 10:30 am, sun terrace of Kristall Glacier Restaurant
- Bring sturdy hiking bootsThe hike takes place in good weather only. Time required: approx. 2.5 hours
On the Glacier Footpath towards Taschachhaus
From the peak of Hinterer Brunnenkogel via Taschachhaus to Mandarfen. What's best, this tour covers all four Alpine altitude levels.
- Starting point: Wildspitzbahn top station
- From here you take the narrow footpath through the Alpine side valley of Taschachtal - leading across the glacier to Taschachhaus.
- Ascent through the valley down to Mandarfen.
- Only for very experienced hikers! Distance covered: 14.1 km
- We strongly recommend you to enlist a certified local mountain guide for this tour
Information and contact:
Taschachhaus T +43(0)664-1384465
Bergführervereinigung Pitztal / Mountain Guides T +43(0)5413 20366
- Short hikes/walks at Pitztal Glacier
- Walking tours in the Glacier Area
- High Alpine peak tours starting at Pitzal Glacier
Alpine Hiking Tours around Rifflsee Lake
Rifflsee makes a great Starting Point for Alpine Hikes
Wonderful Alpine hiking tours without conquering glacier-topped peaks await you at the Rifflseebahn top station which is a popular starting point for scenic tours.
Surefootedness and a good head for heights are absolutely required for all these routes suitable for already experienced hikers with a good stamina.
On some stretches glacier hiking equipment is needed.
- All walking times listed below are roughly estimated times
- Always plan a tour in advance according to your personal fitness and skills
- Take a look at the local weather report as for all these tours good weather conditions are required
- For an even more pleasant mountain experience we strongly recommend you to enlist a certified Pitztal Mountain Guides
- Rostizjoch 3,083 m: Alpine mountain hike across pasturelands and erosion areas
Walking time: approx. 4 hours
Difficulty level: red (the route is not marked on some stages)
- Cottbuser Höhenweg: challenging high Alpine hike to Kaunergrathütte 2,817 m
Walking time: approx. 3-3.5 hours
Difficulty level: red-black !!!rock climbing skills required!!!
- Wurmtaler Joch 3,089 m: high Alpine hiking tour incl. glacier crossings
Walking time: approx. 4 hours
Difficulty level: red - some stretches are well-marked
- Offenbacher Höhenweg: high Alpine mountain hike - Alpine crossing from Riffle via Wurmtalerkopf to Taschachhaus
Walking time: approx. 7-8 hours
Difficulty level: red, well-marked route